Realms of Annakolia Forum Index Realms of Annakolia
A NeverWinter Nights CEP Role Play Server

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Realms of Annakolia Forum Index -> Annakolia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry_1066
Server Owner and Designer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Maps Reply with quote

A map of Port City and a very old map of the world are found here:

http://www.jubilatores.com/Galandar.html

New maps are being created.

Last edited by Barry_1066 on Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spiffy Fox
DM/Contributor/Designer
DM/Contributor/Designer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*poke* Reminder for all ye who be lookin' for a map Very Happy
the ktulu
Player
Player

Location: Iceland baby, land of the ice (not joking, I live there...)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a large possibility i'm falling in love with Annakolia Embarassed

-the ktulu Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Quool
Player
Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the scale of the world map?

For that matter, do the people of Annakolia use the metric system, or some other more obscure form of measurement? Wink
Halfling Heaven
World Designer/DM/Player
World Designer/DM/Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the scale of the map is in an olde form called 'guess-timate', but i could be wrong.
flamecrow
DM
DM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other words HH means that he doesn't have a clue but he just let's you guess...

Anyway, Welcome to the server Quool!
If you come here, you'll find me....
I promise.
Barry_1066

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no scale to the map officially -- the graph square was supposed to represent ten square miles but I am sure that applying that would be a disaster. Think in terms of very early map-making with rough areas filled in and no thought of scale other than some nebulous concept in the dark recesses of the cartographer's mind. Shocked
Halfling Heaven
World Designer/DM/Player
World Designer/DM/Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry_1066 wrote:
There is no scale to the map officially -- the graph square was supposed to represent ten square miles but I am sure that applying that would be a disaster. Think in terms of very early map-making with rough areas filled in and no thought of scale other than some nebulous concept in the dark recesses of the cartographer's mind. Shocked

In other words.... guess-timated. I rest my case. *smug smirk* Very Happy
Quool
Player
Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand, but then, roughly, what is the area of the map? Is it the size of Denmark, or Europe?
the ktulu
Player
Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take the size of your character. then look at the size of the way moving from east to west through the whole map of areas. thats roughly the size Cool

-the ktulu Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Laine Keiko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you still have to consider the distance between transition points... they're not connected right to each other, you know... some may be, though there are quite a few that would be miles distance...
the ktulu
Player
Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea thats true..it'd be sweet if one could know how far the next transition is ..could be placed on signs next to the area transitions? Surprised

-the ktulu Cool
Alcor
Player
Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The distance between transitions need not always be fixed, nor need each 'hunting forest west' always be the SAME piece of forest.

Though the distance from 'North Road' the the peak of the 'Bane Mountains' will always be the same, the the time a party takes to travel accross a section of terrain can vary; clearly this is because the 'expanse' of the terrain represented by the 'area' changes, with the gain or loss of distance being absorbed at the AT.

In the same way that a house may not always be the 'same' house, a path may not always be the 'same' path - is it so surprising that several trails through a dessert wend their way to the same place?

In brief what I suggest is NOT to consider anything you see as (necessarilly) 'fixed' and 'the way it is' - though with some areas this will be the case.

Constraining some screens or AT's by distance, or certain houses to specific NPC's is just something that can never be, the game world and it's populations represent much more than you actually 'see'.

For Corellons sake! Rolling Eyes Did you honestly think you'd eradicated the ENTIRE population of troll mountain? Twisted Evil

Quool
Player
Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I asked was for pure RP reasons. Would a trip from Lathine to Durin be like a trip from Neverwinter to Port Llast, or like a trip from Waterdeep to Thay? I have no way of knowing how to characterize a trip like that, because there is no scale.
Barry_1066

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a scale but I had to dig out 30 year old maps to look at it -- and i am NOT going to do this for everyone who asks --- Twisted Evil

From the Lathine Mountains to the Shire is 370 miles.

iIt is 250 miles from Annakol City to the Shire.

So --- 520 miles total from the Lathine Mountains to the City of Annakol.

I do not know if the graph squares show on the scan -- each square is ten (10) square miles. Shocked
Barry_1066

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at the scan of the maps -- yes the graph squares show -- so you can count your own mileage -- 1 square = 10 square miles. Wink

OHHH and i counted by roads, not as the Dragon flys. Rolling Eyes
noasark
Player
Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry_1066 wrote:

Umm, in English that would mean what........exactly? Oh, like it'll help -me- in the first place Razz
Barry_1066

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignor the stupid remark about it being a disaster and apply ten square miles to each map square. That makes the trip from Lathine to Annakol City about seven hundred fifty miles.
Quool
Player
Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To hopefully clarify a little. I think you mean each square is 10 miles squared, or, 100 square miles.

To help picture it then, the area of the 4 sheets that comprise the world map is roughly the size of Alaska.

Still, the roads that exist represent a major technical and social achievement. Is there an 'empire' that controls most of the area, or a recent history of one that just collapsed? Most campaigns take that into consideration, but you can just say it's 'magic' if you want. Wink
Barry_1066

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each square is 10 miles -- little squares in faint blue lines -- hundreds of them on the map -- or is it thousands -- the alaska thing is still fair i suppose. So count the squares between point A and point B -- multiply by 10 and you have the milage.
Quool
Player
Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but, please don't take offense, I only meant to clarify, the area of a square, is height x width, or 10 x 10 in this case, or 100 square miles.

10 sqare miles, which was used repeatedly here, would mean each square was a distance of the square root of 10, or just over 3 miles. I knew what you meant anyway, but I thought it should be clarified for others.
chizbo
Player
Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An updated map that showed the major cities and areas of Annakolia, including areas east of the map Barry posted earlier (so including Halfling Heaven, Tharbad, etc), would be a great thing for those of us who like exploring. Annakolia is so big, there may be some areas we don't even know exist. A detailed area-by-area map would take away the fun of exploration, but a high-level map that just outlined the major landmarks without showing area-level detail would be a really nice feature.

Does anyone in the know have one of these they'd be willing to share, or are any of the builders/DMs willing to take a crack at creating such a map?
flamecrow
DM
DM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record anything from my hand gets mapped, however I do this by hand in a quick sketch and it may take a while before I make a descent map.
I'm working on map of Mirrage, but I still need to get past the detailed hand drawn one. Maybe I'll get to it sometime......
Thanks for the patience anyway. Smile
If you come here, you'll find me....
I promise.
Macc
Player
Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quool wrote:
The reason I asked was for pure RP reasons. Would a trip from Lathine to Durin be like a trip from Neverwinter to Port Llast, or like a trip from Waterdeep to Thay? I have no way of knowing how to characterize a trip like that, because there is no scale.

Think in character, your character has no accurate way of judging the distance as accurate maps are rare and expensive, therefore characterise it before the trip as a daunting journey into the unknown. After the trip characterise it as an epic journey lasting x days across the wilds.

If it took someone else a different amount of time or their journey was different to yours, either they travelled faster, went by a different route or whatever, ignorance is the easiest thing in the world to RP, your character should have lots of it. Wink

Vivian Stanshall
Halfling Heaven
World Designer/DM/Player
World Designer/DM/Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macc wrote:

Think in character, your character has no accurate way of judging the distance as accurate maps are rare and expensive, therefore characterise it before the trip as a daunting journey into the unknown. After the trip characterise it as an epic journey lasting x days across the wilds.

If it took someone else a different amount of time or their journey was different to yours, either they travelled faster, went by a different route or whatever, ignorance is the easiest thing in the world to RP, your character should have lots of it. Wink

Nicely said.
Quool
Player
Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macc wrote:

This is exactly the reason I would like a scale. I want to know what the 'x' is, approximately. Otherwise, I have no idea if I am looking at something the size of Asia, or Manhattan island.
Alcor
Player
Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quool wrote:
I have no idea if I am looking at something the size of Asia, or Manhattan island.

Though I'm no 'authority' on the scale of Galandar I think if you consider 'Annakolia' (that is Port City in the NW to Annakol City in the south) as the size of a 'large' american 'frontier' state (perhaps Texas!) on a world of similar size to our own you may not be far wrong.
Hraig-zorg
Player
Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya all...

errrr... as some might know Uvite and Euclase got seperated... Sad

So I looked at your map and found it GREAT..... but big.. Confused
I have copy/pasted abit and tried to straigthen it.... (I hope the artist dont mind Very Happy ) and made it in a A4 version.... Very Happy

Last edited by Hraig-zorg on Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starkadd
Player
Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, better to look at Wink
I don't have to scroll up and down and on the sides anymore Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bud E
Expert
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... This is just a question. Where would Tharbad, Arkham and say Barrydale be on this map, if at all?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Realms of Annakolia Forum Index -> Annakolia All times are GMT - 1 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: