Realms of Annakolia Forum Index Realms of Annakolia
A NeverWinter Nights CEP Role Play Server

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Necromancy

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Realms of Annakolia Forum Index -> Annakolia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moriarity
Player
Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Necromancy Reply with quote

Hello!

I've been reviewing these forums for a couple days now and Annakolia sounds like a great world to play on. I'm tossing a few character ideas around in my mind at the moment and I'm curious about the subject of Necromancy. A few posts have hinted about the world views on this however nothing really sums it up. Obviously having a zombie with you walking around a city isn't going to go over well, but is the creation of undead a crime? Does summoning a skeleton outside of cities have repercussions if one is seen?

Thanks for any input and I'm looking forward to seeing this world first hand.

-Moriarty
RavenOfDispersion
DM
DM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Moriarty. Welcome to RoA. I'll quote a topic about necromancy, and tell about my experience with a necromancer character.

Quote:
Three types are totally intolerable in towns, villages and populated areas:

1) Demons (which includes undead mostly but some exceptions there -- mainly ghosts)

2) Giants (Giants and Demons are the foes of the ancient conflicts)

3) Werewolves (they are carrying a dangerous disease and represent a clear and present danger to all -- instant no questions asked kill the werewolf)

Now a word about the first catagory -- with the inclusion of UNDEAD. Necromancers, and summoning the dead are right up there in the GRAB the PITCHFORK AND TORCH crowd. Revealing you are a necromancer, even outside the city, town, village, should be a careful and guarded secret shared with trusted friends.

Shared with trusted friends does not include adventuring with a large assortment of persons in a Feisty Chicken Campaign.

A Necromancer should expect Paladins, Clerics, Druids, Rangers, and a few other assorted classes, perhaps even Monks, to desire to kill the summons and perhaps the Necromancer.

Revealing one is a Necromancer in such a public way is a guarentee IC to turn yourself into an outcast/outlaw for it is certain the authorities WILL issue warrents for your arrest and execution.

Playing with a necromancer is okay, but you should be aware of the above. Also, evil alignment is not allowed. As long you are aware of these two things, it's okay to play with a necromancer.

I think (as a suggestion) that you should learn about the world with a common human character, and, after that, write an application to play with a guy that practices the art of necromancy. You can find the application model here.

I hope seeing you online soon.

Raven
I was spawned uncounted aeons ago, in the dark mists of Khhaa'yngnaiih, of nameless nightmare parents, under a gibbous moon (...) I remember that on the night it finally exploded we all slithered down to the beach to watch.
RoAnnon
DM
DM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Moriarity, welcome to RoA.

In addition to what Raven said, let me also reiterate that CvC conflicts on the server are forbidden unless all parties agree and a DM is present and consents to the character vs. character combat.

Meaning if you DO run a necromancer and summon an undead, do not expect to instantly die in combat with the cleric or paladin in the party. Any such conflict must be roleplayed. Your necromancer may be threatened and yelled at, but without very strong IC provocation and everyone's consent, you will not be attacked by another player.

Hope to see you in game soon.
Itís all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, ya understand
Halfling Heaven
World Designer/DM/Player
World Designer/DM/Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will add to this topic, if I may.

I had a necromancer who always summoned the same 'spirit' in various forms of undeath. I tried to challenge the stereotype that undead are evil, by roleplaying the undead as an 'ex-florist' who really had no idea why he was never allowed to stay dead. He got frustrated that he couldnt grip flowers and make flower arrangements, and was shocked by the screams that strangers greeted him with... often screaming back at them. I roleplayed this 'undead' as chaotic good, and a little bit of a coward who didnt really know how to wield a sword.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but many people could not get over the idea that undead HAD to be evil. (both IC and OOC)
My view that, if I met my dead grandmothers ghost, she would not be wanting to suck my spirit from my body.... it just didnt seem to help against the preconceptions that the D&D Monster Manual categorically claims undead are Chaotic Evil.

So, my advice to you is this....

..IF you want to play a necromancer, then play a wise one who does not reveal his necromantic nature to anyone who might wish him harm. Paladins, for example, would probably be a little biased. As would priests and druids.

However, I personally tend to roleplay my characters to ignore the undeadness of things unless it is an obvious problem. (such as the undead is killing sheep or worrying children) Even my paladin would probably just assume the skeleton warrior was just a thin guy. (My paladin has INT 6)
Its all about moderation in my book.
Moriarity
Player
Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. It matches up exactly to what I had in mind for my character. The plan I have for him is a wizard that doesn't practice any magic in public. He travels as a historian/explorer. Always at his side is a mute bodyguard that never removes the full plate armor it wears.

*hijacks his own thread*

To everyone involved today in the Feisty Chicken thing, I really had a blast meeting everyone. The roleplay of everyone was top notch, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it. I've only played one NWN server and I've been there for a number of years now. They're moving over to NWN2 which I don't care for much, so I'm glad to have found a new home with the original game that has the same high quality.

-Moriarty

P.S. ..... can't believe I spelled my own forum name wrong. *sighs*
AthenaMeter
DM
DM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Annakolia, it was a pleasure playing with you at the Feisty Chicken.

sincerely
athena

PS.. is Daisy a Necromancer?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mairie
DM-Apprentice/Player
DM-Apprentice/Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

*sharpens sword and looks at the neatly layed out torches* Yup
Beothul
Player
Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Necromancy Reply with quote

This is probably too late for you, but the comments in this thread made me think of another way to RP a necromantic situation: I thought about the "Sixth Sense" kid who sees dead people - if you had a char that copied that tag line now and then, and had an undead companion, maybe that might break peoples' preconceived notions. Could be that the char actually does summon the undead, but does not consciously know it and so thinks they just happen to be around all the time. The movie had a scary undertone but in the end it worked out nicely, and the undead spirits were not evil. Quoting this movie would put people into that mindset and they might forget about the monster manual for a few minutes.

Just a thought.

Moriarity wrote:
Hello!

Thanks for any input and I'm looking forward to seeing this world first hand.

-Moriarty
LIONofHUME
DM
DM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to RoA Moriarity

This server is governed more or less by 1st edition rules, wrapped around a 3rd edition engine, in a world created by the 1066íers over many, many years of PnP (Thatís Paper and PencilÖnot pen and paper, I donít know what dummy changed that.) with a good bit of John Ronald Reuel Tolkienís genius thrown in for good measure.

This is not directed at you specifically, but just my thoughts on the subject and I really think we keep forgetting that we are playing a D&D game. The undead were a natural inclusion to D&D because they are terrifying creatures.

While itís possible for good spirits to visit us, most of the undead creatures we battle are or where evil in life. Created undead, like zombies and skeletons are neutral, yet created by evil spell casters. A good cleric can create undead, but only with the personís permission before hand and the permission of their deity. Disturbing the eternal rest of the deceased is frowned upon by most good aligned deities, at least without a very good reason.

I agree that the study of necromancy is not entirely evil. It has value in its communal aspects, be it for wisdom or knowledge. But it has always been viewed, in game and in real life as an evil practice. From Homer to the Bible and all the way to todayís current works, the dead are to stay dead unless given divine permission to do otherwise. Anything else is an abomination.

Role-playing a necromancer should be done as if you were a bonesman, Illuminati or freemason. You can move freely about conducting normal behavior, but your skill and knowledge would not be known to the public at large. Maybe a few close friends and associates would know of your delving, but once you openly demonstrate your skills, you should be ready for a few questions and skeptical disassociations, at the very least.
If ye be men of valor, great fortitude and wondrous imagination, gather ye bravely and join in marshal arms with us! Assemble your strengths, unsheathe your weapons, heft your shields and gird yourselves as if for war.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Barry_1066
Server Owner and Designer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mairie wrote:
Quote:

*sharpens sword and looks at the neatly layed out torches* Yup

NOOOOO Daisy is like our (Hero and Darla's) child or sister -- you can't hurt her.

Here Daisy is your cake, your pony, your kitty and what else was it you wanted *watches the dead cats play with the string*
charissa1066

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to RoA, Moriarity! Smile

charissa1066 on Flickriver
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Realms of Annakolia Forum Index -> Annakolia All times are GMT - 1 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: